Friday, October 30, 2009

Cheeseburger Soup

Cheeseburger Soup:

1/2 lb ground beef
3/4 C chopped onion
3/4 C shredded carrot
3/4 C diced celery
1t basil
1t parsley
4 T margarine/butter
3 C chicken broth
4 C peeled and diced potatoes
1/4 C flour
8 oz processed cheese, cubed
1 1/2 C milk
3/4 t salt/ dash of pepper
1/4 C sour cream

In a 3 qt saucepan brown beef and drain--set aside. In same pan saute onion, carrots, celery, and herbs in 1T butter until veggies are tender--about 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender. In a small skillet melt rest of butter. Add flour and cook 3-5 minutes. Add to soup and boil 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add velveeta, milk, salt and pepper. Cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.

I got this recipe from my sister Julie. (I have about 10 of her recipes--I need more!) I think it's scrumptious!!! But the boys in my family, including Todd, think it has too much "stuff" in it. That's usually how it is with any soup I make!!! So I don't make this soup that often but I may have to try again--I haven't made it yet this year. Give it a try. It's a perfect dinner for these chilly Autumn nights!

2 comments:

  1. You can also just use cheddar cheese. I made this with leftover ham instead of hamburger and then used cheddar and everybody loved it. I think I like it better since I am not a fan of Velveeta. Try it and tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete